YouTube is second in search engine traffic, behind Google. YouTube videos account for eight out of every ten video search results. The platform is continually growing. More than 500 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute.
What is a YouTube SEO strategy and how do you implement it?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO), is the practice of optimizing web content for search engines to rank high in search engine result pages (SERPs). Search is often the key to your content.
Therefore, optimizing your content to search is essential to draw traffic to your site and build a following.
YouTube SEO is different from Google. It uses backlinks and other factors for ranking. YouTube SEO includes optimizing your YouTube channel, playlists metadata, descriptions and videos. YouTube can optimize your videos to search within and outside YouTube.
Search engine bots are unable to view videos so they use the accompanying text data to properly index them.
The key element of a YouTube SEO strategy involves harnessing the power and potential of your video’s content in the form transcripts, closed captions and subtitles.
This can have a positive impact on user experience, engagement and watch time as well as viewership and SEO.
These are 10 tips to increase views and boost your YouTube SEO.
YouTube SEO Tips
- Choose a great keyword
- Use accurate closed captions
- To your video description, add a transcript
- Subtitles available in multiple languages
- Create a keyword-optimized title and description.
- In your video, use your target keyword
- Make a compelling thumbnail
- End screens and add cards
- You should be focusing on user engagement
- Keep track of your analytics
1. Choose a great keyword
You must choose the right phrase or keyword for your YouTube video before you can improve YouTube SEO.
Keywords are often found in video titles and metadata. When spoken in audio, keywords are also included in captions or transcripts. This is a win-win situation for SEO.
Keywords and keyword phrases must match a) what is in your video and b) the words or phrases that people use to search engines for content similar to yours.
You will need to conduct keyword research in order to find the keywords and phrases people are using when searching.
It’s easy strategy to locate a keyword YouTube’s Search Suggestions can be used to find the right video for you. YouTube’s Search Suggest will suggest suggestions based on keywords or phrases relevant to your industry.
Keywords can also be found in your YouTube search report (under Traffic Sources > YouTube Search).
You can check to see if your keyword is a good one by searching it on YouTube. You want to search for keyword variations that have high search volume and less competition in order to stand out from others.
It can be difficult to choose the right keyword, but there are many tools that can help. These tools include:
These tools allow you to explore additional resources, such as keyword volume (the number of keywords that appear on Google each month) and cost per Click (the average cost per term on Google Ads).
Once you have identified a great keyword,Include it in the name of your video file, YouTube will know the topic of your video.
Your file name might be “makeup tutorial-for-the-hulk”, followed by the type of your video.
Tip : You can target individual videos by going after long tail keyword phrases that are more specific. A more specific keyword phrase, such as “makeup tutorial for Hulk”, would be better than “makeup tutorial”.
2. Closed captions are essential
Google penalizes spam and rewards good search results. Spam is defined as “automatically generated gibberish”, which is a description of many auto-captions. Incorrect captions can lead to spammy results and a loss of search rank for your YouTube channel.
You can combat the negative effects of auto-captions on YouTube SEO strategies by adding accurate closed captions via an SRT file Send us your YouTube videos.
Search engines can crawl text but not videos. Google will crawl your video and rank it accordingly if your captions contain relevant keywords.
YouTube videos can have captions added in many ways. Some YouTubers start with an automated transcript and then manually correct any errors.
Send your videos to a Professional video transcription service. Video transcription professionals are high-quality and quick to complete.
Captions not only increase SEO but also offer the following benefits:
- Higher search rank: Digital Discovery Networks conducted a study that proved captions on YouTube videos increase SEO. The captions were used to increase views by 13.48% and 7.32% respectively in the first two weeks.
- They searched for the keyword phrase only in the video captions and not in the description, tags or metadata to verify this. Search engines could crawl captioned videos and rank them highly for this phrase.
- Improved user experience and engagement Closed captions increase viewership as they keep viewers engaged, regardless of whether or not they have access to audio.
- Mobile users may not have audio access, so this is particularly important. Since More than 70% of YouTube’s watch time is spent on mobile devices?
- It is essential to have correct captions. Closed captions on YouTube videos have been shown to increase user engagement. They are more popular and get more shares, likes, and comments than videos that don’t have captions.
- A higher level of engagement leads to higher video search ranking factors which translate into more views.
- Additionally, increased engagement means more watch time. is a crucial metric to determine YouTube’s search rank.Higher SERP ranks correlate with longer watch times.
- Video accessibility Closed captions can make YouTube videos more accessible for people who are hard of hearing or deaf.
- Captions allow hearing people to view your video in noisy places, such as trains or libraries with the sound muted. Captions make it easy for people to see, understand, and enjoy your video.
3. Add a transcript to the video description
YouTube’s video description is the best way to display your transcript. You can fit up to 5,000 characters in the description field.
This is enough space for a 10-minute, dialogue-heavy transcript. You can upload a shorter version of your transcript with a link to the full version to a separate webpage if it doesn’t fit.
Keyword-rich descriptions were still recommended as they can help your video rank in related terms and appear as “suggested videos.” Transcripts can increase engagement by making it easy to scan for content.
Pro tip: Use video transcripts to make your content marketing quick-cut
While many brands have done amazing outreach using video, marketers are often unaware of the potential for transcripts to do even more.
Video transcripts and derivative content can be used as a starting point to create content and target inbound marketing campaigns.
A video transcript can be used to increase SEO by creating shareable, useful content. Video transcripts can be used for the following purposes:
- Fact sheets
- Copy of website
4. Subtitles available in multiple languages
Subtitles in foreign languages allow international viewers to enjoy your videos, as well as non-native English speakers.
your translated caption files will be included in search results for those languages by search engines.
This is a huge advantage for YouTube SEO strategies as you will have a higher chance of ranking for non-English keywords because there is less competition.
Always double-check your translations to ensure accuracy Consider using a vendor to ensure high-quality subtitles.
5. Create a keyword-optimized title and description
After you have chosen a keyword that is relevant to your video, it is important to optimize the text for keywords.
If you are publishing videos on makeup tutorials, optimize your title, descriptions, tags, and tags.
Search engines have become more sophisticated and are now able to use keyword-stuffing to over-use keywords and other variations to try to hack the system.
This is a waste of time. You could be penalized if you write for robots and humans.
After you have done keyword research, choose your keywords and incorporate them into the following fields.
- Titular : It can hold 100 characters, but it truncates at 70% characters. This means that your most important information and keyword should remain close to the front.
- To encourage clicks, use compelling language such as “how-to”, “advice”, “tips”, or numbered lists. Here are 7 Tips to Increase Your Video Subscription Rates.
- Meta-Description : Allows for a maximum of 5,000 characters, but can be reduced to around 120 characters depending upon the device. It is essential to include a link for your product on e-commerce websites.
- More than half of consumers are influenced to buy products by videos. It is important to include http:// otherwise it will not be clickable.
- Tags : Allow 500 characters. But don’t go crazy. Double quotes (“”) should be used to surround phrases in order to make sure your video matches a long-tail keyword phrase. Instead of using “makeup tutorial” or “tutorial” tags, tag your video with “makeup tutorial”. Think like a user. Always add tags in order of importance.
YouTube Creator Academy, These are some tips to help you write searchable descriptions.
- Use natural language to give an overview of your video, and not just keywords.
- Your description should begin with the most important keywords.
- You should identify 1-2 key words that best describe your video, and include them in your title and description.
- Use Google Trends, Google Ads, Keyword Planner, To identify the most popular keywords and their synonyms. These terms will help you increase search traffic.
- Avoid using irrelevant words in your description. This can cause poor viewing experiences and could violate YouTube policies.
You should consider changing the keywords phrases if you intend to upload your video to multiple domains. It’s not a good idea to be in competition with other people on different websites.
Use only honest and relevant terms. You will not get a positive score if you try to ride popular topics that aren’t relevant to your video content.Implement a YouTube SEO strategy by using accessible video
6. In your video, use your target keyword
Your captions and transcript will not include your target keyword. These are two essential components of a YouTube SEO strategy.
To avoid overfilling your transcript, make sure you include your keyword in a thoughtful and natural way in your video. It can be helpful to plan ahead and include your keyword at the start of your video.
7. Use Compelling Thumbnails
The right thumbnail video image can make a huge difference in click-through rates. High-quality images with a 16-to-9 aspect ratio are best. The best images are facial close-ups.
YouTubers have the option to choose which frame will be displayed as the thumbnail. YouTube will display three screenshots for you to choose from. You can also pick a shot from a different time in the video or upload a new image.
You can find images on sites like Canva. You can create thumbnails for YouTube videos by using the.
YouTube overlays the video length in the lower corner. Make sure that it doesn’t block any important information in your thumbnail. Keep in mind, Google uses image recognition to filter certain imagery such as the YouTube logo.
You want to create an image that clearly represents your target keyword. This will help you rank higher in search results.
8. Add YouTube Cards to Your End Screens
Cards appear at the top of your videos, so users can click on them to explore. Cards are a great way for YouTube to increase your rank.
A video can contain up to five cards. You can add various CTAs to cards, including directing viewers to another channel or asking them to donate to a charity.
YouTube Video with a card icon at the top right of screen and an arrow.
End screens are displayed after a video has ended. They tell viewers what they can do next.
End screens and cards can enhance viewer experience by encouraging viewers to view more videos or take additional action after they’re done. These elements can be found on end screens.
- You can also view other YouTube videos, playlists and channels.
- Subscribe to your channel.
- Check out your merchandise or crowdfunding campaign.
9. End screens and add cards
Higher rankings are strongly correlated with engagement metrics like comments, likes and shares. According to Blacklinko’s research.
Google is most concerned about how visitors respond to your content. This is what keeps people on the site.
Encourage viewers to comment, like, or share your videos. Respond to messages and comments with time and effort to increase engagement.
YouTube Watch Time
As you can see, watch time is important. The actual amount of time spent watching a video, not the percentage watched, is called watch time.
A 10-minute video that is completed at 50% will be viewed more than a 3-minute video that is watched at 100%.
Your viewer should be captivated within the first 15 seconds of your video with a teaser. To pique their interest, show them the finished product if your video demonstrates how to make a DIY project.
Watch time for sessions
Another important measure of user engagement is session watch time. YouTube measures how much a video contributes towards a user’s overall viewing experience.
Was the viewer able to leave the site immediately after watching the video or did they continue viewing three videos? YouTube wants users to spend more time on its platform so they favor videos that can help them do that.
Videos that are designed to drive users to your site will harm your SEO, even though it might seem counterintuitive. They move viewers away form YouTube.
Intent of the user
Google can read what you think. Google can understand what you search for. If you search for “how to get more YouTube views”, you will be presented with a video called “How To Get More YouTube Views in 2021 – In 2 Minutes”
It’s tempting to use the most searched term or phrase as your title. But don’t. Instead, answer the question of the user in your title and then add the search term to your description. Google is smarter than you think.
Growing subscriber base
Subscribers can get a lot of time watching your video within the first week. You can increase user engagement and experience in the first seven days. You should post frequently so that your subscribers are aware when you expect a new video.
Subcategorized playlists that are relevant and short (four to six video clips) can significantly improve user experience and engagement. You can also share multiple videos at once by sharing a link instead of just one.
10. Keep track of your analytics
YouTube offers many analytics reports. To help you monitor your performance.
You can track many analytics, but YouTubers should be familiar with these metrics.
- Keep an eye on Time : The total time viewers spend watching your videos is called watch time. This is important because YouTube will show more videos and channels that have higher watch times in search results. Watch time is an excellent indicator of engagement.
- Impressions Click-Through rate : Impressions click-through rates measure the number of people who view your video after it is posted to their homepage, recommendation section or trending section.
- Although click-through rates for Impressions will increase after your video is released and decrease later, it is still an important metric that you can use to refine your thumbnails.
- Card Click-Through Rate : Cards are pre-formatted notifications that encourage people take action while they watch your video. An analysis of card click-through rates will help you optimize your CTAs, timing, duration, placement, and more.
- Unique Viewers : The number of people who have viewed your videos for a given time is called unique viewers. This metric can help you gauge engagement and size your audience.
- Traffic Sources : Traffic Sources reports show you where viewers saw your videos and what sources brought them the most engagement. This data can be used to optimize your video promotion strategy, such as deciding where to share your content.
- Subscriber Growth : YouTube’s Subscribers report shows you which videos, places, and times have gained and lost subscribers. This data will allow you to identify which topics are most popular with your subscribers, and where you should target new subscribers.
These metrics can be monitored over time to help you identify which videos are most popular and what factors contribute to their success. You might be able to see patterns in the topics, length, posting schedule, and other factors that set these videos apart from others.
Want to boost video SEO? Get started captioning today!