The Key Points
- Googles organic search algorithm includes many on-page factors.
- For greater success in organic search, you can combine on-page SEO with high-quality content.
- On-page SEO includes more than keywords. It also includes title tags, headers, structured data, image optimization and many other things.
What is the Google search algorithm update frequency? Googles algorithm 3 234 times was updated in 2018. Google is working hard to make the search engine the most intelligent in the world.
Yet, even with its continuous improvements, it is not perfect. Google still needs to be able to understand new content. This is where on-page SEO (SEO), comes in.
On-page SEO Services
Google will be able to better understand your site. This improves your websites rankings which in turn leads to more organic traffic.3,234
Googles algorithm was updated 3,234 times in 2018.
This step-by-step guide will explain the best page-specific SEO practices you should use on your website and why they are so important in your overall SEO strategy.
What is On-Page SEO?
SEO on page strategy
On-page SEO, also known as on-site SEO, is the process of optimizing web pages to optimize for certain keywords in order increase search visibility and traffic. This includes the modification of elements such as title tags, headings and content.
On-page SEO vs technical SEO
Some SEOs confuse technical SEO with on-page SEO. However, I prefer to keep them apart. Technical SEO, in my opinion, addresses issues such as page speed and site performance, duplicate content and site structure, schema and indexing.
Technical optimization is focused on your entire site, while on-page optimization targets specific URLs.
Off-page SEO includes all activities that occur outside of your website such as link building or brand mentions.
Why is on page SEO so important
If you want search engines reward you with page one visibility, you need to be serious about your on-page SEO strategy. Over the past two decades, a lot has happened. While Google still considers keywords within your content, keyword stuffing has stopped working since it destroys user experience.
Googles search algorithm is becoming more complex, so user-focused SEO on pages will become more important.
On-site SEO allows search engines to find the best URLs to rank your content for specific queries if done correctly. Users will also appreciate the clarity and organization that on-page SEO provides.
Let’s now look at some on-page SEO best practice.
URLs are a great tool for on-page SEO
Google has clearly stated URLs help them understand the purpose of a page. How can you optimize URLs?
- Include a keywordSearch engines and users will understand a pages content if you include your primary keyword in the URL.
- Concentrate left:As far as you can, place the keyword in the URL.
- Use real wordsUse real words instead of the confusing gobbledegook some content management systems produce in your URL.
- Keep them brief and sweetYour URL structure should be concise and easy to understand by search engines as well as users. Google will understand more pages if it is easier to do so. Google will often show URLs in search results. Users wont be able to understand a page URL if it is just a string of numbers and letters. Users will click on search results more often if they have a better understanding of the pages purpose.
- Use hyphens to separate wordsHyphens make URLs easier to read. If a page is about coffee beans grinders, you can use the URL www.yourcompany.com/coffee bean-grinders.
Meta descriptions and title tags
Page titles are the most important page SEO factors. Meta tags are also very important. Each page has a title tag that appears in search results as the headline.
Meta description is a brief summary of the page, which appears under the title in search results. These are both important for search engines and users to understand the purpose of a webpage.
Meta descriptions, on the other hand, are not a direct SEO ranking factor .
The title and meta description are crucial in determining whether someone clicks on a listing from the search results.
Optimizing the meta description and title will increase the Click-Through Ratio (CTR), which Google uses to show that your content is valuable. Higher CTR equals higher rankings.
Meta tags and on-page SEO
Your title and meta description should be the first thing you look at when doing an on-page SEO analysis. These are the steps to follow:
- Your primary keyword should be near the beginning of your title
- To avoid it being cut off in search results, keep the title between 55 and 60 characters. Yoast plugin for WordPress can help you determine if your meta tags have become too long.
- Use caps sparingly in your title tags
- Google wont consider duplicate pages if each page has a unique title.
- Use compelling titles that are clear and easy to read so users click.
- In your meta description, include your primary keyword. Google will highlight the keyword when someone searches for it.
- Limit the meta description to 155 characters
- Make sure your meta description accurately describes the page. It should be treated as an advertisement and wordsmithed so that people feel compelled to click.
Structured Data is a key part of any on-page SEO audit. It helps Google understand your content better.
Lets say that you have a product webpage with information such as prices, availability, ratings, and so forth. Google wont understand the information if it isnt structured in HTML.
Different types of structured data
Structured data refers to the specific code that you place on your pages in order for Google to understand the content. You can find specific structured data formats that are suitable for many things.
- Information about local businesses
- Ratings stars
- Postings for Jobs
Google will often include structured data directly in search results. This is known as a rich-snippet. A rich snippet can increase the likelihood of someone clicking on your result.
Structured Data Tools
Keyword research tools such as Ahrefs provide an analysis of search engine results pages to reveal the SERP features for a targeted keyword. This allows you to understand the data that you will need to use to rank for these features.
Googles Structured Data Markup Helper is the easiest way to implement structured information. Google will assist you in adding structured data to a page by entering the URL.
The Structured Data Test Tool from Google can be used to test the data. You can also refer to Bings guide for marking up your site using structured data.
After you are done, simply copy the updated information to your site.
DeepCrawl or Screaming Frog website crawlers can help you find structured data on your site. These tools can also be used to debug errors when crawling your site.
This is a great way for you to check out the competitors website.
Organic Traffic Growth 4X Only a few companies have seen their Organic Traffic increase by 4X in a year for Identity Theft Protection Brands.
On-page SEO is improved by Headers
Multiple headers (H1 tag and H2, H3, etc.) are a good idea. SEO is improved in many ways by using multiple headers (H1 tag, H2, H3, etc.) on your pages.
It makes it easier for users read your content. Visitors who encounter text walls on pages are less likely to continue reading them and will abandon them.
Multiple headers make it easier for users to quickly understand the content. This is an important factor for Google.
Subheadings are also helpful for Google to understand the content of a page. Make sure you include your primary keyword in at most one or two H2 headers when creating headers.
If contextually appropriate, include the primary keyword in the H3 headers or other headers. To strengthen signals to Google regarding the topic, you can also include long-tail keywords within some headers.
Copywriting for SEO
Your on-page SEO efforts can be boosted by copywriting. Users will be more interested in landing pages if you create great content.
It is important to remember that SEO copywriting guidelines are not only for search engines. These best practices can also be used to improve your content marketing for users.
These are the SEO techniques that are used by the best bloggers:
- Make your introductions concise and compelling. Be clear about the problem and your solution.
- Avoid paragraphs and long sentences. You shouldnt eliminate paragraphs completely, or else your content will not flow well.
- Subheadings can be used to break up sections longer than 300 words.
- Include the targeted SEO keyword in the page copy.
- Align content and search intent.
- Write for your readers.
- To keep people on the page, use bucket brigades. Bucket brigades can be used as bridge phrases to add conversational value and interest to your copy. You can think of phrases such as heres what …, or as it turns.
- To pique the interest of readers, incorporate emotion and stories.
Be sure to use the target keyword early
In general, it is a good idea to use your target keyword in the first 100 words. This signal to Google that your target keyword is the main topic of your page. It also tells users that they are in the right place.
Consider how people search the internet. Clicking on a search result will quickly scan the page and then theyll leave the site if the page doesnt seem relevant. Your target keyword should be included in compelling intros to keep users from bouncing.
Is keyword density a factor in on-page SEO?
Keyword density is the frequency with which you use a particular keyword on a webpage. Your keyword density is 5% if you use your target keyword five time per page.
There are no strict rules regarding keyword density. However, it is important to ensure your targeted keywords appear naturally in your posts.
The goal should be to achieve a keyword density that is in line with the highest ranking content for that search phrase.
Add synonyms, long-tail keywords and related terms to your primary keyword. This will help you improve your page rank.
These terms are not the same as latent keyword indexing (LSI), which Google claims they do not use. They are terms that relate to your topic and help you create context.
Search intent-satisfying content
Google wants users to see high-quality content that fulfills their search criteria. It solves the searchers problem efficiently and completely.
There are four types search intents at the highest level:
- Informational : Information is what people seek.
- Navigation : People want to find a particular page.
- Commercial : Before buying something, people do extensive research.
- Transactional : People want to buy things.
The first page of search results for a query can be a simple way to determine the intent behind a keyword.
Titles that contain words such as how, methods, or methods signify informational search intent. Words like top and best indicate commercial intent.
Next, create content that fulfills the intended purpose.
Provide as much information as you can if it is informative. Cover the topic in detail, answer any questions and help the user to understand the issue.
Provide searchers with all the information they need to make informed buying decisions if the intent is commercial. You could provide information such as reviews, pricing, comparisons and photos.
If your intent is transactional, ensure that your pages have structured data optimization so products show up in Google Shopping Carousel.
You may also want to highlight specific selling points on your page title such as discounts or product quality.
Make your text readable
While readability is not a ranking factor, it should be considered as part of your on-page SEO strategy.
Your site text must be easy to read if you want them to stay. Users may abandon your site quickly if it isnt readable. This signals to Google that the content has low value and should be ranked lower.
The ranking factor for text readability is not directly related to it. However, Google and users can digest readable text more easily. This is good for SEO.
To make your text more readable
- Make your page easy to read. Your content should be broken down into digestible pieces.
- Multiple headers and subheadings are possible.
- Use plenty of paragraph breaks to avoid long walls of text.
- Divide lists into bullet points.
- Include supporting images and other visuals.
- Use simple, actionable sentences
Keep in mind that most people will read your content via their mobile devices. Make it easy for them scroll and skim. Stop playing small ball
Find out how to dominate organic search results.
Internal Links are essential to on-page SEO as they allow Google to understand the relationships between pages on your website.
A rich internal linking structure strengthens context and relevance, as well as depth of coverage.
These links are also great for the user experience. These internal links allow people to find more of your content, such as additional blog posts or case studies.
Strong internal linking strategies can also increase Google Analytics SEO metrics such as bounce rate and conversion rates.
On-page SEO should include links to and from other pages that are relevant to your site. It is especially important to link from authoritative pages such as your homepage.
These links anchor text should contain a key phrase or keyword that you would like the page to rank for.
Google might interpret the repeated use of the same anchor text across multiple pages as keyword stuffing or trying to manipulate the system.
Internal links, unlike backlinks dont increase your websites authority. You can add them yourself. They instead channel existing authority and relevance from your backlinks through your website.
This is why internal linking can be a great way to improve your rankings if you already have a lot of authority on your domain.
Sometimes, backlinks can be more important in cases with high domain authority.
Images must also be optimized for SEO. You can start by giving them descriptive file names that include words separated by hyphens.
Next optimize the file size to make it load quickly and preserve the images quality. Your page load speed for sites with images consistently exceeding 400kb will be affected. This can impact your ability to rank well in Google.
TinyPNG or ImageOptim are great tools for image optimization.
Add text to the alt tags of the image. The appropriate keyword may be included in the text. Search engines can understand images by using alt text.
SEO on-page factors
Lets look at the most important on-page SEO techniques that you should be following:
- Use descriptive URLs for pages.
- Optimize title tags
- Make compelling meta descriptions
- Structured data can be implemented
- Optimize headers
- Use SEO copywriting best practices
- In the first 100 words, use the target keyword
- Keep the keyword density at an appropriate level
- Make sure your content is user-friendly
- Make your text readable
- Both outbound and internal links should be added
- Optimize Google images
Remember that on-page SEO is important. These elements will help you get better organic search engine rankings. You want to dig deeper? You can check out our ultimate SEO checklist.